Pet Dander Allergies and the Surprising Role of Air Quality
Kittens, doggies, hamsters or guinea pigs — our furry friends (or family members) make life just that much better. Think about it: who can you ALWAYS count on to make you feel better after a bad day?
Seriously, the only things not improved by four-legged buddies? Pet dander allergies, hair, and dust!
At Vertex Mechanical, we’re your indoor air quality specialists. While we can’t magically fix cat, dog, and pet dander allergies, we can teach you the DIY strategies to reduce pet dander — as well as introduce you to the answer for ultimate indoor air quality.
How to Lessen Pet Dander Allergies
Pet dander allergies come from more than just the thick winter coat that your dog sheds all over the couch. Pet dander, the main catalyst for cat and dog allergies, comes from more than just fur — it comes from your pets’ skin, saliva, urine, and feces.
While you can’t keep your pets from having dander, you can limit how much dander is in the air and around your home. Whether you’re slightly allergic yourself or you’re worried about a guest, these are the best pet dander busting solutions.
- Vacuum often and steam clean every few months — Carpets are notorious for harboring dust, hair, and dander. While switching to hardwood floors can do a lot to alleviate pet dander allergies, it isn’t feasible for most people. Instead, vacuum often to pick up surface level allergens and steam clean your carpets every few months for a thorough deep clean.
- Cover or move the litter box to an out of the way place — An unexpected source of cat allergens and nobody’s favorite part about owning a feline, keeping your litter box out of the way can help your indoor air quality. If your cat throws a fit about you moving their box, you can reduce pet dander allergens by emptying it more frequently.
- Wipe down furniture and walls — While you might not think about it, pet dander can also cling to your walls and furniture. If you know you’re having a visitor who’s very susceptible to pet dander allergies, you’ll definitely want to wipe down the furniture they’ll use and the walls in the room where they’ll be staying. Plus, this is a good chore to add to your rotation to keep your home extra clean.
- Wash your pets frequently — You can’t change your pet no matter how hard you try, but you can limit the amount of dander they put off by brushing and washing them regularly. Not only will this stop them from shedding everywhere, but it also can reduce the loose dander from their skin.
- Change your filters more frequently — While cat and dog dander gets stuck in the carpets and on the walls, most of it goes airborne. That means your air filters have to work overtime keeping it out of the air. If you have pets, you need to change your filters more often to keep the air clear and healthy. Just keeping the filters clean and clear can help you breathe better and ease your allergies. Learn more about your home air filters.
Do Air Purifiers Help with Pet Hair?
Want to take a step up from the DIY approach? We can help. Time and time again, one of the biggest questions we hear is do air purifiers help with pet hair? While those homeowners have the right idea, it isn’t a single-room air purifier that does the job, but a whole home filter.
Since the vast majority of dander dislodged from your pets ends up in the air, that’s the main place to target. Rather than just filtering the air in one room though — filter the air in your entire house. To do that, you want to filter the air with unmatched efficiency and power — you want the air scrubber.
The Air Scrubber: Your Ultimate Pet Dander Allergies Solution
Originally designed to filter air on the international space station, the air scrubber cleans the air in your home with unparalleled efficiency — whether or not you have pets. Mounted inside your vent system, this powerful filter uses electricity to positively charge air molecules that latch onto and trap the pollution particles.
While air purifiers may help somewhat with pet hair they don’t come close to this space-age tech. In fact, the manufacturer rates air scrubber as 50 TIMES more effective than a standard HVAC filter.
How much trust do we at Vertex put in the air scrubber? We offer our no-hassle Air Scrubber Guarantee:
We say, if you don’t see an improvement within 90 days, we reimburse you 100% for the Air Scrubber — and for our time spent installing it.
The Local Expert for all of Your Indoor Air Quality and HVAC Needs
At Vertex Mechanical we do the big and little things that make your house comfortable. Whether it’s something cutting-edge like installing a high-tech air scrubber to bust pet dander allergies, or if it’s keeping your heat running all winter, that’s our specialty.
Want to learn more about making your home the best for your pets and your people, contact us today to start a conversation and get an air scrubber quote!