Are you looking for ways to save money on your energy bill this winter? Check out these quick tips for homeowners that are both cost-effective and easy to do!
1. Every degree counts. If you are normally comfortable keeping the thermostat set at 70, consider dropping it to 69. One degree on the thermostat can have significant savings to your utility costs.
2. Don’t let the shower run. 75% of Americans when taking a shower will turn on the water and let it run to get it warm. They will usually have a routine that they follow before jumping in. What they don’t realize is that in many cases you have already dropped several gallons of hot water down the drain before you even get in. So if you have a family of 4 where everyone does this, and they do it every day, the savings could be substantial on both the energy cost of the heated water and the water itself.
3. Check your toilet flappers. Thousands of gallons can be wasted annually from a part that costs less than $10. I would recommend changing flappers out annually or every other year with your AC or heating service.
4. Change out your lightbulbs and go with the new CFL. This could easily cut your lighting costs in your home by 60% and is very quick and simple.
5. Maintain your water heater. The simple task of flushing out the bottom of the tank can save you on gas costs. When you have sludge on the bottom of the tank, it needs to heat that first before getting up into the water. Just put a hose on the drain and drain 5-10 gals of water out of the bottom or go until it runs clear.
6. Maintain your furnace or heat pump. Most HVAC companies will do this service for under $150. If your system isn’t performing to its best, you can lose $150 to energy costs in a very short amount of time. This is the best $150 you will spend to save.
7. Caulk. For under $20 you can buy a few tubes of really good silicone. Go around leaky windows and doors and caulk where you feel the draft. Stopping infiltration has incredible savings on your heating costs.
Contact Vertex Mechanical to help maintain your heating and cooling systems today. We offer superior HVAC services at economical prices!